Technology has become much more important to businesses during the past few years. As a result, almost every company has mission-critical needs for data processing, communications and storage capabilities. Business continuity and disaster recovery should be high priorities.
There are a variety of products and services available to ensure you are operational when disaster strikes. Some are simple, like Direct Trunk Overflow or Enhanced Toll-Free Call Routing. Others are more complex, removing single points of failure within the network. Examples of the more complex solutions include: MPLS VPN and Wireless Backup services (below). Sagewood Group will help you select the products and services you need to have an effective continuity plan for your business.
Data Backup and Recovery
Data Backup and Recovery is imperative to ensure you are still in business tomorrow and two years from now. Some companies do not back up their data at all. Recent studies (Gartner Research) show that a large percent of companies that use a tape backup system do not test it. Of those that do, most found their tape backup failed to restore. External drives may be damaged in transport or left in the same location as the primary data files. For these reasons, more businesses are moving to an off-site, magnetic disk-based data backup service. Benefits include:
- Ease-of-use recovery with remote access.
- Ability to backup multiple servers with differing operating systems.
- Automatic scheduling, off-hour backup.
- Disaster preparedness solution for critical CPE and servers.
- Data backups are compressed and encrypted.
- Off-site, redundant storage without a courier.
- SLA’s that ensure 100% availability and 100% preservation of your data.
- Two backup copies of critical server data may be stored in two separate Data Centers, increasing redundancy.
Dedicated Internet Access
Dedicated Internet Access (DIA) delivers your data to its destination securely, reliably and along the fastest route possible. Our providers include the following benefits as part of their DIA service:
- Guaranteed bandwidth to meet heavy data demands.
- Multiple private peering and transit points for excellent diversity and network performance.
- Reliability backed by industry-leading service level guarantees, including 100% availability SLA.
- Network design that maximizes redundancy with no single IP point of failure.
- 24×7 live support with world class customer care and continuous network monitoring.
- Various speed options: Economical sub-T-1 speeds for small businesses to 1.5 Mbps to OC-n or GigE for those with higher bandwidth demands.
Optional features include:
- BGP Routing Protocol: improves efficiency and quality of end user access and allows for faster, more efficient network traffic.
- Network Utilization Reports via a Web-based communications management system that analyzes real-time inbound and outbound statistics.
- Overlay Voice Services onto your Internet service with traditional lines or SIP.
- Expanded equipment and managed router options.
Hosted E-mail Security
Waiting to scan incoming e-mails until after they reach your server opens the door to potential threats, including trojans, viruses, and phishing. A hosted solution will scan your e-mail and filter out dangerous and inappropriate content. This happens at the safest, most effective point possible: before it penetrates your network. Should your e-mail servers become unavailable, Hosted E-mail Security is able to auto-identify sensitive content and enable secure download through a Web interface.
Hosted Web Security
Hosted Web Security provides the tools you need to secure and protect your Internet traffic from outside threats, as well as help enforce your organization’s acceptable use policies relating to Web content.
Administrators can block or allow access based upon site content, URL category, specific URL or IP address, and/or site reputation. Access controls can be utilized organization-wide or applied to individual users or groups. The customer interface allows the administrator to monitor activity in detail.
IDPS (Intrusion Detection and Prevention System)
IDPS works along with your Network Firewall service to provide both IPS (Intrusion Prevention Sensors) and IDS (Intrusion Detection System) protection for your entire network.
If a potential threat is detected, you are instantly alerted by e-mail with alarm details and steps for mitigation.Skilled Security Operations Center Engineers are available to consult with you to rectify any vulnerability from the attempted attack.
As with a Network Firewall, IDPS resides within the carrier’s MPLS network. This relieves our clients from the burden of equipment purchases. Since IDPS is a fully managed and monitored solution, it can help you meet and exceed industry compliance standards such as PCI, SOX and HIPAA.
Managed CPE (Customer Premises Equipment) Firewall
A Managed CPE Firewall is the perfect security solution for single-site customers or anyone implementing multi-layer defense strategies. Managed CPE Firewalls offer:
- A professionally managed gateway security solution.
- A hardened security device that includes a stateful inspection firewall.
- Professional configuration plus maintenance, monitoring, and break-fix support through your carrier’s Data TAC (Technical Assistance Center).
- Firewall logs and statistics available anytime via an easy to use online customer portal.
- Protection based on a UTM (Unified Threat Management) platform.
Managed Router Service
Basic Managed Router Service includes pre-configured IP addresses and carrier maintenance and monitoring. A big advantage of this service is that it eliminates the finger-pointing between your carrier and equipment vendor. Options include:
- Router Configuration Support: Offers initial router configuration, as well as ongoing configuration support.
- Router Ping Monitoring: Your provider sees a total view of monitored routers and network links. If an outage is detected, proactive notification is provided by their Data TAC (Technical Assistance Center) Engineers. If requested, an electronic notification is also sent, and after analysis, a trouble ticket may be generated.
- Advanced Managed Router Support: Provides router hardware maintenance support and configuration back up, in addition to Router Ping Monitoring and Router Configuration Support.
MPLS VPN (Multi-Protocol Layer Switching Virtual Private Network)
The hub-and-spoke model is a thing of the past. VPN’s offer an affordable way to build an enterprise network that delivers the performance, security, and reliability of a dedicated private-line network. MPLS VPN service uses the latest technology to provide your employees, business partners, and customers with secure access to your company’s networks and data from virtually anywhere. It’s amazingly flexible and easy to deploy.
QoS (Quality of Service) assigns “private labels” to your data, which identifies its destination and allows it to travel securely through the network. It also offers:
- Prioritization capabilities: Give precedence and additional bandwidth to time-sensitive applications (like streaming video) over applications where speed is less of an issue (like e-mail).
- Virtual paths that ensure your data is completely separate from that of other customers.
- End-to-end QoS starting at the customer edge and continuing through the network core.
- The security of your data remaining entirely within the carrier’s private, national network; it never enters the public Internet.
Network Firewall service is designed to reduce the vulnerability of your network and protect your important data from hackers and other external threats. Large, multi-location clients prefer Internet Access through a single location on the carrier’s backbone (secured with a network firewall) because it means only one door to watch. With a managed Network Firewall, you’ll be able to:
- Allow internal users to access Web pages and e-mail without giving external users access to the computers on your internal network.
- Utilize geographically diverse and redundant Internet connectivity to all sites on your network.
- Comply with today’s growing number of regulatory requirements.
- Have a security solution that resides entirely within the private network.
- Benefit from a high level of protection without having to purchase new equipment.
- Have your provider handle all maintenance, management, and repair.
A wireless backup is an easy way to add disaster recovery and enhanced business continuity to an existing T1 line, DS3 or fiber line. A wireless backup is immune to any scheduled or emergency outages on your existing wire line. It offers additional features like automatic fail-over, bandwidth aggregation and load balancing as well.
For those of you who wish to fire your phone company, a wireless backup service is a great way to avoid the local loop.